Thursday, July 31, 2008

I love chair.

Sorry I've been lacking in the blog department lately. Truthfully, nothing worth writing about has happened in the last couple of weeks. BUT THEN, I went on a vacay, bought a car, discovered cute Eco-friendly shopping bags, and fell in love with 1stdibs.com. My blog bucket overfloweth again. I will try to keep it up people, but sometimes I am just not into it. So anyways, I will start with my beach weekend. Actually it was called Prep Weekend. Yeah, we do that. It was complete with lovely meals including crab, and as much seersucker, linen, and boat shoes that I could pack into one weekend. Here are the highlights of my weekend at the coast:

Yes that is the Goonies rock in the background. Photo taken by this guy.

  • The drive. I drove down with someone who could talk as much, if not more than I could and it made the drive funny and therapeutic, and fast.
  • Killing flies with Windex.
  • Walking like forty miles a day, and then overeating at night.
  • Saying pruuuuune while taking a pic. Try it, its hilarious.
  • Reluctantly trying to see if we could get into the hot tub after hours. Being relieved that we couldn't. I don't like to break community laws such as going "after hours" or "jumping fences"... anywhere. And I hate the idea of TP-ing. I have never done it though.
  • Fug the Dealer.

I was reviewing some photos taken by my preppy friend who took the photo above, from a previous trip and found this one.




I seriously might frame it I love it so much. At the same time as looking through this album I received an email from 1stdibs.com and spent the next hour looking through about a hundred chairs. 1stdibs is this brilliant website that pulls together the collections from antique dealers from all over the world and puts them up for auction. I have a serious affinity to antiques that started while roaming the halls of a castle in Denmark, and seriously wishing that I lived there, and that the dusty faded canopy bed was mine. And don't you love it, when a mirror is so old that you can barely see your reflection anymore it is so cloudy? Ahhh, sweetness.
Anyway, here are some chairs that I found in my search yesterday.






Napoleon the III Chairs - Hotel Mirande
France
Circa 1860
Napoleon The III Chairs as seen in the salons of the Hotel Mirande in Avignon, France




Single armchair attributed to Tommi Parzinger
USA
1950's
Classic armchair with rolled arms separated from the seatback on tall tapered Walnut legs - attributed to Tommi Parzinger.


Italian Mid Century Settee in the manner of Osvaldo Borsani
Italy
1950's
Dark gray fabric juxtaposed with light gray welting creates a fun and dynamic combination for this little settee. Light gray button detailing on the sides of the settee. Legs are are ebonized with brass sabot tips.



Handsome End of 18th Century Alcove Settee
Provence, France
End of 18th century
Handsome end of 18th century alcove settee with sculpted apron.






Single Frances Elkins Loop Armchair.
USA
Vintage
Gorgeous newly relacquered "Canary Yellow" armchair.




Pair of John Hutton Gesso Thebes Club Chairs
San Francisco
1976
Pair of Gesso over Wood Thebes Club Chairs designed by John Hutton for Randolph & Hein shortly after leaving design school. Hutton of course went on to a lengthy career at Donghia. Loose Cushions

1 comment:

gigkitties said...

I love the lawn chair!.... it's so... shall we say, "Klarquist" 1980's??